Adsense Search

Google
 

Monday, August 07, 2006

Homeward Bound Block

I have 4 of the homeward bound blocks done. Only 4 more to go until I'm done with them. Then comes the harder block, the union square one.

I just laid it down on the scanner to take the picture of it. I haven't ironed all the seams open yet, I just wanted to get it up here. :)

I'm pretty proud of how my stuff lines up! Granted stuff might not be lined up exactly and might be just a smidge off as far as lining up goes, but it looks pretty good! You can tell from the picture what I mean about the edges not being even due to the squares being shorter than they were supposed to be due to the seam allowance I used.

But I'll square them all up after I'm done and get ALL the blocks done, both homeward bound and union square.


5 comments:

Susan said...

Looks pretty good. That will be a nice block, all squared. I want to see the Union Square, too.

Melanie said...

It always amazes me how a color change can make a block so different. Keep working at it , each block will get better and better. I like your color choices.
Melanie

Patti said...

You are doing well! They look good to me!

Shelina said...

The 1/4 inch seam allowance is a standard of quilting. One of those rules that really make things easier if you follow it. And if you are making teeny tiny blocks, then a scant quarter inch is very important - to allow for the tiny fold that is used when you press.
But if you design your own quilt, you can certainly choose your seam allowance. Just be sure you adjust for it in how big you cut your pieces.

Shelina said...

Oh I understand about not having a good line to measure the quarter inch seam allowance. It will work out fine on your quilt, since you can just square up the block, like you said.

There are several ways you can handle it - you can mark your seam allowance - some people use a stack of postit notes or a stack masking tape so it gives a wall that your fabric can't go over.

I had to break down and buy a foot. I got a metal one for about $20 and I use it everytime I sew quilt seams. There are different kinds, some have quarter inch marks on the sides so you can see how many quarter inches you are sewing - useful for bindings. Some have walls on the side to keep the fabric from going to the other side, past quarter inch.
The curvemaster foot is supposed to be good for sewing curves, but also has a wall for the scant quarter inch seam allowance, so you can sew straight lines too. It is more pricey - closer to $30, but it does both. Its made of plastic though so I'm not sure how long it will last.

And until you do any of those, you can still make quilts that can be squared up, or have pieces that can handle a consistent, even though not quarter inch seam allowance.