Adsense Search

Google
 

Sunday, August 06, 2006

Ah Crap!

I was trying to figure out why my squares weren't lining up with both edges of my strip and I figured out why. It's because I cut the strip longer than the square.

I'm not using a 1/4 seam on my sewing machine, it's the first line on the plate to the right of the needle. I want to say 3/8ths?

Steps are as follows.

1. Join 2 of the 2" wide black strips and the 2" wide blue strips to make 2 strip units as shown. Cut the strip units into a total of 32 segments each 2" wide.

2. Join the remaining 2" wide black strips and 2 of the 3 1/2 wide blue strips to make 2 strip units as shown. Cut the strip units into a total of 16 segments each 3 1/2" wide.

So step 1 the strips are supposed to end up 3 1/2" by 2". Except since I didn't use a 1/4 inch seam my strips ended up 3x2"

Step 2 my strips are supposed to end up 6 1/2" by 3 1/2". And since I didn't use a 1/4 inch seam my strips ended up 6" by 3 1/2".

Step 1 creates the white and blue squares that are next to each other.

Step 2 creates the blue strip, white square, blue strip.

All of this is on the left of that red square.

Since step 2 ended up wider than step 1 I'm going to have to trim the squares down once I'm done. Hopefully this won't be too difficult!

No comments: